Advanced Mediation: Skills and Techniques
Faculty: Bruce Edwards
**Includes 2 CLE hours of ethics and 1 CLE hour of elimination of bias.
Advanced mediation is a highly interactive course that moves far beyond introductory lectures and simple role-plays to draw upon the vast mediation work of the highly experienced trainers who have more than 8,000 mediations between them and the wisdom of experienced participants. Much of the course will consist of comparing participants' techniques and approaches to common problems in mediation. The course will be limited in enrollment.
Participants are accepted through application. They must have completed acceptable, basic mediation training, and have significant experience as a mediator.
Advanced Mediation Application - Nashville, Tennessee
What you will learn:
- Review of the "STAR" approach to mediation
- Stages in complex mediations
- Understanding how different techniques apply to early, mid-stage, and
- late-stage negotiations
- Tasks and strategies in resolving difficult cases
- Activities of experienced mediators in moving beyond impasse
- Results that experienced mediators seek beyond just a settlement, including the art of the apology
- The best advice from colleagues in the field who have financially successful practices--including what separates the trained mediator with no cases from the one who is in demand
- What prominent mediation organizations tell panelists about procedures, practices,
and ethical dilemmas
Bruce Edwards was an industry pioneer in the field of alternative dispute resolution. Since 1986 he has mediated over 6,000 disputes throughout the United States involving complex multiparty lawsuits and specializing in matters of high emotion. Since 1993 Edwards has served as an adjunct professor at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University Caruso School of Law where he teaches courses in advanced mediation. In addition to his teaching in the United States, Edwards has personally taught mediation skills to hundreds of attorneys, judges, business leaders and aspiring mediators throughout Europe, Africa, India and Asia. Most recently, he has cofounded the Edwards Mediation Academy, an online education platform for teaching practical mediation skills to a global audience.