Implicit Bias Training
Pepperdine University Caruso School of Law is committed to providing the resources and training to educate our greater community about implicit bias. Not sure what this means? Click here for the American Bar Association's comprehensive implicit bias tool box which includes a glossary of terms.
The American Bar Association Section of Litigation's Implicit Bias Initiative offers materials for further reading and review.
ABA Recommended Reading List
- Jerry Kang, National Campaign to Ensure the Racial and Ethnic Fairness of America's State Courts, Implicit Bias - A Primer for Courts (August 2009), http://wp.jerrykang.net.s110363.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kang-Implicit-Bias-Primer-for-courts-09.pdf.
- Shawn Marsh, The Lens of Implicit Bias,Juvenile and Family Justice Today (Summer 2009), available at http://www.ncjfcj.org/sites/default/files/ImplicitBias.pdf.
- Chris Guthrie, Jeffrey J. Rachlinski, & Andrew J. Wistrich, Blinking on the Bench: How Judges Decide Cases, 93 Cornell L. Rev. 1 (2007), http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/research/cornell-law-review/upload/Blinking-on-the-Bench.pdf.
- Shankar Vedantam, See No Bias, The Washington Post Magazine 12, January 23, 2005.
For two very readable popular press books, you may also want to read,
- Malcolm Gladwell, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2007)
- Shankar Vedantam, The Hidden Brain (2010)
For questions or concerns, please contact the Dean's Suite.
Implicit Bias Scholastic Research
- Chris Chambers Goodman & F. Jason Far-Hadian, Promoting Inclusion and Diversity in the Intellectual Property Bar and Beyond (MCLE Self Study Article), California Bar Journal (2020)
- Chris Chambers Goodman, AI/Esq.: Impacts of Artificial Intelligence in Lawyer-Client Relationships, 72 OKLA. L. REV. 149 (2019) SSRNHeinOnline
- Chris Chambers Goodman, Identifying, Discussing, and Responding to Gender Bias in the Legal Profession, 37 (No. 1) CAL. REAL PROP. J. 28 (2019) SSRN
- Chris Chambers Goodman, The Civil Rights Act, THE MARIN LAWYER, June 2019, at 19
- Chris Chambers Goodman, Class in the Classroom: Poverty, Policies, and Practices Impeding Education, 27 J. GENDER SOC. POL'Y & L. 95 (2019) SSRN HeinOnline
- Chris Chambers Goodman, Shadowing the Bar: Attorneys' Own Implicit Bias, 28 LA RAZA L.J. 18 (2017) SSRN HeinOnline
- Chris Chambers Goodman, Nevertheless She Persisted: From Mrs. Bradwell to Annalise Keating, Gender Bias in the Courtroom, 24 WM. & MARY J. WOMEN & L. 167 (2017) SSRN HeinOnline