Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The Office of Financial Assistance recommends that applicants and students complete the online FAFSA. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA form as early as possible, but no sooner than January 1st. The Title IV institutional code for Pepperdine School of Law is 001264. A FSA ID is required and can be created at https://fsaid.ed.gov. Once your FAFSA is processed, a Student Aid Report (SAR) is sent to you via the mail or email. The SAR outlines the information reported on the FAFSA, and provides an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) amount. It is important to review your SAR for accuracy. If corrections need to be made, please do so and return to the federal processor immediately.
The recommended deadline to submit the FAFSA is April 1st. It is approximately 3-4 weeks to process during peak periods. To check the status of your FAFSA online, use your FSA ID or call (800) 433-3243.
The deadlines to complete financial aid files are May 1st for first-year and transfer students and June 1st for returning students.
Additional Application Requirements
When students apply for federal financial aid, the United States Department of Education verifies information with the following federal agencies:
- Social Security Administration - verification of social security number and United States citizenship status
- Selective Service System - verification of Selective Service Registration status
- Immigration and Naturalization Service - verification of the eligible non-citizenship status
- Department of Justice - verification that an applicant has not been denied federal student aid by the courts as the result of a drug-related conviction
- Department of Veterans Affairs - verification of veteran status
Students who apply for need-based financial aid may be asked by our office to supply additional documentation to verify the information that was reported on the FAFSA. Students are awarded financial aid once all documentation has been received and evaluated. If your file is selected for verification, you will be required to submit the following:
- 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript (and your spouse's, if married). To request an IRS Transcript go to www.irs.gov or call (800) 829-1040.
- 2015-2016 Verification Worksheet
In order for male students (with some exceptions) to be eligible for federal financial aid, they must be registered with the selective service. Students can register online at www.sss.gov.