As a Pepperdine law student, Robert Popovich was first in his class and the business editor of the Pepperdine Law Review. Upon graduation, he worked as an associate with the law firm Irell & Manella, practicing the areas of estate planning, taxation and business transactions. Prior to his tenure as a Pepperdine law student, he practiced, as a CPA, with Deloitte (then Deloitte Haskins and Sells), was a director of taxes for a large multi-national corporation, and was CEO and Chair of Lindmar Data Corporation.
Professor Popovich loves his work as a professor at Pepperdine, in particular his passion for teaching. He comments, "My students know from the first day of class that they are my number one priority. Facilitating their learning of the law is, of course, a primary goal. Equally important is that every student knows that their well-being is paramount to me." Professor Popovich was twice named a Luckman Distinguished Teaching Fellow, 1993-1998 and 1998-2003, four times named a Teacher of the Year, 2004-2005, 2008-2009, 2012-13, and 2015-2016 and was a 2006 recipient of the Howard A. White Award for Teaching Excellence.
Professor Popovich teaches Community Property, Contracts, Estate Planning, Federal Estate and Gift Taxation, Federal Income Tax, and Wills and Trusts.. He also serves as the faculty advisor to the Business and Tax Law Society.
Professor Popovich's areas of research include domestic and international tax, estates and trusts, estate planning, community property and business/financial-related matters.
Professor Popovich is a member of the State Bar of California and is licensed in California as a CPA. He is also a member of the American and California Bar Associations, (Taxation, Education, Teaching Taxation, Estate and Gift Taxation, Trusts and Estates, and Real Property, Probate and Trusts sections), the American Institute and California Society of Certified Public Accountants, and serves on the Association of American Law School's committees of Donative Transfers, Fiduciaries and Estate Planning, and VAT and Other Consumption Taxes.
- J.D., Pepperdine University, 1989, summa cum laude
- M.B.T., University of Southern California, 1977
- B.S., California State University, Northridge, 1975, with honors
- Robert G. Popovich, POPOVICH'S EXAM PRO - FEDERAL INCOME TAX (West Academic, 3rd ed., 2017) Worldcat
- Robert G. Popovich & Peter T. Wendel, CALIFORNIA WILLS AND TRUSTS: CASES, STATUTES, PROBLEMS AND MATERIALS (Carolina Academic Press 2017) Worldcat
- Robert G. Popovich, FEDERAL INCOME TAX (Exam Pro Series) (West, 2d ed. 2007) WorldCat
- Robert G. Popovich, FEDERAL INCOME TAX (Exam Pro Series) (West 2002) Worldcat
- Robert G. Popovich, Federal Estate & Gift Tax, in WENDEL'S EMANUEL LAW OUTLINES: WILLS, TRUSTS, AND ESTATES (Wolters Kluwer, 9th ed., 2014)
- Robert G. Popovich, Federal Estate & Gift Tax, in WENDEL'S EMANUEL LAW OUTLINES: WILLS, TRUSTS, AND ESTATES (Wolters Kluwer, 3rd ed., 2012)
- Robert G. Popovich & Peter T. Wendel, The State of the Property Course: A Statistical Analysis, 56 J. LEGAL EDUC. 216 (2006) HeinOnline
- Contract Law
- Estate Planning