Mark A. Kressel
Mark Kressel is a partner at the firm and has handled appellate matters in a wide range of areas, including patent, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the anti-SLAPP statute, the First Amendment, punitive damages, general business litigation, and premises liability, for private companies, government entities, and individuals.
Mr. Kressel is currently on the executive committee of the ABA Council of Appellate Lawyers (CAL), and acts as the 2018 CAL Chair of the Appellate Judges Education Institute Summit.
Mr. Kressel was selected in 2013-2018 as a Southern California Rising Star and as one of The Recorder's 2013 Lawyers on the Fast Track. Mr. Kressel was a 2015 Fellow of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD). The LCLD is an organization of more than 200 members, who serve as either general counsel of major corporations or managing partners of leading law firms. LCLD develops action programs designed to help a new and more diverse generation of attorneys ascend to positions of leadership.
In 2013-2014, Mr. Kressel served as the President for the Los Angeles County Bar Association Barristers Section, the new and young lawyers section. In that position, he also served on the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Executive Committee and Board of Trustees. He is also secretary of the American Bar Association's Council of Appellate Lawyers.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Kressel was a litigation associate with Irell & Manella LLP. He also served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Jay S. Bybee of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Kressel earned his Bachelor of Arts from Yale University, where he graduated cum laude and won the Nathan Holmes Pearson Prize for Best Senior Project. He earned his Juris Doctor from Yale Law School, where he served as Comments Editor for The Yale Law Journal. He is admitted to practice in the California state courts, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Federal Circuits. He has also practiced before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Prior to law school, Mr. Kressel worked as a Broadway musician.
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2007
- B.A. Yale University, 1996, cum laude
- Breaking Up (The 9th) Is Hard To Do (July 31, 2017) Law360
- Make the Barristers a First Step toward Professional Achievement (July/August 2013) Los Angeles Lawyer, p. 12
- Review at the U.S. International Trade Commission, American Bar Association, Appellate Practice, Spring 2012, Vol. 31, No. 3 (June 28, 2012)
- Protecting Intellectual Property Rights with the ITC (Dec. 2011) Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, p. 10
- University Inventions, Stanford v. Roche, IPEG.com (November 2010)
- The Proposition 8 Challenge: Is There Jurisdiction For Appellate Review? Century City Lawyer (September 2010)
- Note, Contractual Waiver of Corporate Attorney-Client Privilege, 116 YALE L.J. 412 (2006)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Barristers Section: Past President
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), 2015 Fellow, annual participant in 1L Summer Scholar Program.
- American Bar Association, Member, Executive Committee, of the American Bar Association's Council of Appellate Lawyers (CAL) and 2018 CAL Chair of the Appellate Judges Education Institute Summit
- Clinical Law