Gregory L. Ogden
Professor Ogden is a cum laude graduate of University of California at Los Angeles, and his J.D. is from the University of California at Davis School of Law. He was the senior research editor for the UC Davis Law Review. Following law school, he was awarded the Reginald Heber Smith Fellowship, and worked for the San Mateo Legal Aid Society, representing clients in numerous administrative hearings, and other civil cases. He then worked for a small law firm representing clients in many administrative hearings, as well as civil and criminal litigation. In 1976, he returned to the academic world as a law and humanities teaching fellow at Temple University School of Law. He earned an LL.M. degree with a concentration in legal education from Temple in 1978. He joined the Pepperdine law faculty in 1978, as an associate professor of law. He became a professor of law in 1982. He was awarded the Chambership Fellowship in Legislation at Columbia School of Law, and received an LL.M. with a concentration in administrative law from Columbia in 1981.
Professor Ogden was a consultant to the Administrative Conference of the United States on two different projects from 1982-1984, and 1987-1989. He authored the final report entitled Public Regulation of Siting of Industrial Development Projects, which provided the basis for A.C.U.S. Recommendation No. 84 1 (1 C.F.R. Section 305-841) adopted in June, 1984. His second study focused on governmental ethics with an emphasis on ethics program assessment at the General Services Administration. Professor Ogden was the editor and contributing author for California Public Agency Practice, a three-volume treatise on California administrative law published in 1988, and he was the editor and principal author of the 1997 two-volume revision of that treatise, entitled California Public Administrative Law, both published by Matthew Bender Publishing Company. Professor Ogden was an active participant in commenting on consultant reports and proposals with the California Law Revision Commission study on the California Administrative Procedure Act (1990 to 1996), and he was a consultant to the California Law Revision Commission for the Administrative Rulemaking study from 1996-1998. Professor Ogden served as the Reporter for the revised Model State Administrative Procedure Act (MSAPA) project of the national conference of commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL) 2006-2010. The Act was adopted by the Uniform Law Commission in 2010.
Professor Ogden was the founding faculty editor of the Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal in 1999-2000, and he was instrumental in bringing the Journal of the NAALJ to Pepperdine Caruso Law School in 2000-2001. He has served as the faculty editor of the Journal of the NAALJ from 2000 to 2017. Professor Ogden has spoken numerous times at conferences on topics related to administrative law, legal ethics and judicial ethics, with an emphasis on Administrative law judges ethical duties. He was the 1999 NAALJ fellowship recipient, and his paper on Demeanor Evidence was published in the Journal of the NAALJ in spring 2000.
Professor Ogden teaches Administrative Law, Civil Procedure, Professional Responsibility, and Remedies.
- LL.M., Columbia University, 1981
- LL.M., Temple University, 1978
- J.D., University of California, Davis, 1973
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1970, cum laude
- Gregory L. Ogden, Lexis Nexis Expert Commentaries on Key California Supreme Court Decisions in California Administrative Law, (2 commentaries in December 2007, and two commentaries in March, 2008)
- Gregory L. Ogden, Challenges in Teaching Remedies, 39 BRANDEIS L.J. 611 (2001) SSRNHeinOnline
- Gregory L. Ogden, Peter Robinson, & Alana Knaster, Public Sector Dispute Resolution in Local Government: Lessons from the SCAG Project, 1 PEPP. DISP. RESOL. L.J. 177 (2001)SSRNHeinOnline
- Gregory L. Ogden, The Role of Demeanor Evidence in Determining Credibility of Witnesses in Fact Finding: The Views of ALJS, 20 J. NAT'L ASS'N ADMIN. L. JUDGES 1 (2000) SSRNHeinOnline
- Gregory L. Ogden, Reporter, Revised Model State Administrative Procedure Act, National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL) (2006-2010)
- Gregory L. Ogden & Daryl Fisher-Ogden, WEST'S CALIFORNIA CODE FORMS WITH PRACTICE COMMENTARIES: CIVIL PROCEDURE (West 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2014, 2015 & 2016 updates) WorldCat
- Gregory L. Ogden, California Public Administrative Law, in 41 (Chapters 470 to 472B) and 41A (Chapters 473 to 474C) CALIFORNIA FORMS OF PLEADING AND PRACTICE ANNOTATED (LexisNexis, quarterly updates, including December 2006, April 2007, September 2007, August 2009, January 2010, February 2011, August 2011, February 2013 and August 2013) WorldCat
- Gregory L. Ogden, State Administrative Law in California (Chapter 10), in CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL LAW AND LAND USE PRACTICE (Kenneth A. Manaster & Daniel P. Selmi eds. 2005)
- Gregory L. Ogden, Public Records Act in California, in 41 (Chapter 470C) CALIFORNIA PUBLIC AGENCY PRACTICE (Matthew Bender 2001) WorldCat
- Gregory L. Ogden, Co-Chair, Adjudication committee of the ABA Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory practice, 2012
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker on the new rules of evidence and procedure for the State Bar of California training for prosecutors and defense counsel in Los Angeles, 2011
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker on developments in legal ethics in California for MCLE program presented to California bar members volunteering their time to judge Pepperdine Caruso Law School Dalsimer Moot court competition, 2011
- Gregory L. Ogden, Participant in three day Sakai Conference for learning management systems in Los Angeles, California, 2011
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker on the debate on compulsory licensing for lawyers as part of a debate held by the Federalist Society, Los Angeles California, 2011
- Gregory L. Ogden, Co-host and participant, NAALJ Conference, Pepperdine University, 2010
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, on the Model State APA, Fall 2010 ABA Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice section meeting, 2010
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, on the Model State APA, Fall 2010 Symposium at Widener Law School, 2010
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker on the new rules of evidence and procedure for the State Bar of California training for state bar court judges in Los Angeles, 2010
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, Legal ethics and fiduciary duties for estate planning professionals, Pepperdine Estate Planning Network conference, 2010.
- Gregory L. Ogden, Reporter, Revised 2010 Model State Administrative Procedure Act, 2010
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, "Legal and Judicial Ethics," National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC), NARUC Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2009
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, "Judicial ethics for ALJ's and current developments in federal and state administrative law," NAALJ annual meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2009
- Gregory L. Ogden, Speaker, 1) Demeanor evidence and credibility determinations for ALJ's; 2) Judicial Ethics for ALJ's and 3) History and Evolution of administrative agencies, National Association of Hearing Officers (NAHO ) annual meeting, Boise ID, 2009
- Gregory L. Ogden, Presenter, materials on Articles 4, 5, and 6 of the MSAPA, ABA administrative law section meeting, ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago, 2009
- Administrative Law
- Civil Procedure