Bernard James teaches courses in Civil Rights, Federalism, Individual Rights, Education Law, State Constitutional Law and Introduction to American Law. He joined the Pepperdine faculty in 1984 after serving in Michigan as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Judge Myron Wahls for the Court of Appeals.
Professor James is the author of the textbook Education POLICY AND THE LAW: CASES AND COMMENTARY (Vandeplas Publishing 2009, & 2nd ed. 2020). He serves as a consultant to the US Department of Justice where he co-authored SHARING INFORMATION: A GUIDE TO FERPA AND PARTICIPATION IN JUVENILE JUSTICE PROGRAMS (DOJ Programs 1997). He is the contributing editor to the NASRO Journal of School Safety. The blog, School Safety Law Blog: News and Information for School Safety, compiles legislation, judicial decisions, and school policy reforms relating to school safety and student rights.
- J.D., University of Michigan, 1983
- B.G.S., University of Michigan, 1977
Law Review Articles
- Bernard James, Legal Update: Qualified Immunity in Public Education, NASRO J. SCHOOL SAFETY, Summer 2021 NASRO
- Bernard James, EDUCATION POLICY AND THE LAW: CASES AND COMMENTARY (Vandeplas Publishing, 2009 & 2nd ed. 2020) Worldcat
- Bernard James, Michael Medaris, & Ellen Campbell, SHARING INFORMATION: A GUIDE TO THE FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT AND PARTICIPATION IN JUVENILE JUSTICE PROGRAMS: PROGRAM REPORT (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention: U.S. Dept. of Education, Family Policy Compliance Office, 1997) Worldcat
- Constitutional Law
- Education Law