Visiting Researcher Program
Pepperdine University School of Law now provides faculty and researchers from around the world the ability visit Pepperdine under the J1 Research Scholar program to conduct research at Pepperdine University School of Law. These scholars must meet the following criteria:
- J1 Research Scholar is a faculty member, post-doc, research associate or a person with similar education or accomplishments at home institution.
- J1 Research Scholar has sufficient proficiency in English language.
- Funding to support a J1 Research Scholar , which can be a combination from the home institution of the J1 Research Scholar, and/or another sponsoring institution, and must be documented to yield a minimum of $24,000 per year. Researchers must show an additional $5,000/year if accompanied by a spouse and $3,000/year for each accompanying child.
- A J1 Research Scholar or Professor must purchase health insurance coverage for himself/herself and any accompanying spouse and minor children on J-2 dependent visa throughout the J-1 program.
In addition, the J1 Research Scholar or Professor must:
- Not have participated in and completed a professor or research scholar program within the last 24 months preceding the beginning date of their new program's commencement;
- Not have participated in a J-Visa program for all or part of the 12-month period immediately
preceding the start date of a professor or research scholar program unless they meet
one of the following exceptions:
- The participant is currently in a professor or research scholar program with another institution in the United States and is transferring to Pepperdine to continue the current J-1 program;
- The participant's prior physical presence in the U.S. on a J-visa program was less than six months in duration; and the prior participation was as a short-term scholar.
The cost to visit Pepperdine as a Visiting Researcher is $10,000, plus the application costs for the J-1 visa which is $1,350, plus $500 for each accompanying dependent.
In exchange, Pepperdine University School of Law will provide the following:
- Dedicated Study Carrel in the Library
- Ability to Audit up to 4 academic courses
- Participation in the Mediating the Litigated Case training program held on the Malibu campus in August or the West Los Angeles/Irvine campus in January and February
- Participation in the four week Legal English Training Program held in July. Housing is not included.
Programs costs is a flat fee and will provide access to conduct research over one or two semesters in the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.
Applicants for the J-1 Visiting Researchers program will need complete the following for consideration:
- Research Proposal outlining research interests and a proposed time frame
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Application
- Photocopy of your Passport
- Copy of Highest Degree Earned with English Translation
- TOEFL or IELTS Results if available
Applications must be received 3 months prior to the intended start date, and will require a Skype interview.
Inquiries and applications can be sent to Straus Institute Assistant Director Sarah Gonzales at email@example.com.