Why Choose the DC Externship Semester?
- Students gain a practical understanding of how our country creates, interprets, upholds,
and enforces federal law.
- Students seeking post-graduate employment in Washington, DC, build their resumes with
relevant experience, enabling them to effectively compete with students from DC-area
- Students who have devoted a semester of their legal education to participating in
the DC Externship Semester demonstrate a commitment to Washington, DC – providing
assurance to future employers in the DC area that they will relocate there upon graduation
and that they are committed to jobs in the public service.
- Students who are unsure about relocating to Washington, DC, after graduation can "try
out" the DC area within the structure of the Externship Experience.
- Washington, DC, sets much of the nation's legal and political agenda. Future employers
across the country value work experience in DC, particularly full-time externship
experience, because students with this experience have a unique perspective on the
areas of law in which they worked.
- The semester in DC creates numerous opportunities for students to network and foster
professional relationships, and provides advice on how to artfully use those connections
to create potential post-grad job opportunities.