William French Smith Memorial Lecture
Featuring those who served with Bill Smith
- Keynote speech by Honorable Rudy Giuliani - former U.S. Attorney, Associate Attorney General and Mayor of New York
- Ambassador Jack Gavin, Emcee
- Honorable Carol Dinkins - former Assistant Attorney General and former Deputy Attorney General, currently a partner with Vincent Elkins in Houston, Texas
- LA Times Publisher David D. Hiller - former Special Assistant to William French Smith
- Honorable Ted Olson - former Assistant Attorney General, Solicitor General and currently a senior partner, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
- Honorable Ed Schmults - former Deputy Attorney General and former General Counsel, G.T.E. Corporation
- Dean Ken Starr - former Counselor and Chief of Staff to William French Smith, former federal judge and Solicitor General, currently Dean of the Pepperdine University School of Law
- Honorable Larry Thompson
- Honorable Edwin Meese III
Attendees included friends, associates and others who would like to honor the life and legacy of William French Smith, as well as supporters of President and Mrs. Reagan and the Reagan Library, and friends and supporters of Pepperdine University and the School of Law.
PepperdineDean Ken Starr noted that the gala dinner event marks the establishment of the PepperdineWilliam French Smith Memorial Lectures on Law and the Judiciary. Named in honor of the former attorney general, the annual lecture series will be an ongoing tribute to Smith. Current and retired judges and justices from around the country as well as prominent attorneys and law professors are expected to participate in the annual program. Said Starr, "The William French Smith Memorial Lectures will bring prominent speakers each year, to focus on issues of law, the judiciary, and public policy so as to honor in perpetuity a singularly talented lawyer and public servant who, as President Reagan graciously put it, was 'always honest, always fair, always careful, and always motivated by a desire to do what was indisputably the right thing.'"