Associate Director, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
Assistant Professor of Law and Practice
Director, LLM Program
Pepperdine School of Law
24255 Pacific Coast Hwy
Malibu, CA 90263
Faculty Support Services: (310) 506-4676
Sukhsimranjit Singh is Associate Director of the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution and Assistant Professor of Law and Practice at Pepperdine Law. He also directs the LLM Program. Professor Singh brings with him nearly a decade of teaching and administrative experience as he served as the founding Associate Director of the Center for Dispute Resolution and Director of the LL.M in Dispute Resolution at Willamette University College of Law. At Willamette, Professor Singh served on faculties of both law and the school of management and taught mediation theory & advocacy, arbitration, cross-cultural dispute resolution, advanced negotiation, and business negotiations. He is leading scholar, speaker and trainer on cross-cultural decision making and communication and was invited to deliver TEDx Talk on the subject at Salem, Oregon in 2015. He teaches Cross-Cultural Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine, USC, Willamette and at Hamline University. He also serves as facilitator/mediator for Atkinson Graduate School of Management, Willamette University, Salem, Oregon since 2014.
Professor Singh has published at Cardozo and Pepperdine dispute resolution journals and his scholarship has appeared at the ABA and Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series (DRI Press) books in the U.S. besides law journals in India. Professor Singh maintains an active mediation practice having mediated commercial, cross-cultural, public policy and religious disputes in United States, Canada and India. He has helped State of Oregon and the City of Salem in resolving complex public policy conflicts and has worked diligently and effectively to resolve long-standing Church disputes in Oregon, Washington and California.
With a passion for negotiation and cross-cultural decision-making, he has lectured or conducted dispute resolution trainings in more than thirty states and in New Zealand, Australia, India, Canada, China, France, Denmark, Spain and United States. Professor Singh is an Honorary Fellow at the International Academy of Mediators (IAM), a Council Member to the Section of Dispute Resolution at the American Bar Association (ABA), Co-chair to the Associates Committee, ABA and has served as a Board Member of the Oregon Mediation Association. He was a Commissioner with the Human Rights and Relations Advisory Commission, City of Salem and has lead inter-faith dialogues in Oregon since 2012.
Professor Singh completed his post-graduate fellowship in Dispute Resolution from Hamline University's Dispute Resolution Institute, earned LL.M in Dispute Resolution with full fellowship from University of Missouri-Columbia and obtained his first law degree with honors and a gold medal from National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, India's premier law university. Professor Singh has trained more than a thousand mediators, has successfully resolved more than five hundred conflicts, has coached law students to national and international dispute resolution competitions and clerked with the 35th Chief Justice of India, Justice R.C. Lahoti.
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, View of Marriage and Divorce from Sikh and Hindu Perspectives and the Impact of These Unique Cultural and Religious Orientations on Dispute Resolution for Marital Disputes in the U.S. (forthcoming 2017)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, Religious Arbitration and its Struggles with American Law & Judicial Review, 16 Pepp. Disp. Resol. L.J 360 (2016)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, Beyond Foreign Policy: A Fresh Look at Cross-Cultural Negotiations and Dispute Resolution Based on the India-United States Nuclear Test Ban Negotiations, 14 CARDOZO J. CONFLICT RESOL. 105 (2012)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh and Lela Love, Building Circles of Trust: A Cross-Cultural Mediation, in STORIES MEDIATORS TELL (Lela Love & Eric Galton eds.) (ABA 2015)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh et al., Bazaar Negotiations: How Different Is Negotiating in China, in RETHINKING NEGOTIATION TEACHING SERIES, VOL. 3 (DRI Press 2012)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh and Lela Love, Following the Golden Rule and Finding Gold: Generosity and Success in Negotiation, in RETHINKING NEGOTIATION TEACHING SERIES, VOL. 3 (DRI Press 2012)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, Dispute Resolution Developments in India, 21 ABA DISPUTE RESOL. MAG. (Fall 2014)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, It's Time to Unify, STATESMAN JOURNAL (Dec. 31, 2012)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, I Am Not a Terrorist, THE OREGONIAN (May 5, 2011)
- Sukhsimranjit Singh, Human Right Initiatives through Public Interest Litigation by Indian Judiciary in Environmental Jurisprudence: An Evaluation in Human Rights, Development and Environmental Law-An Anthology. BHARAT PUBLICATIONS (2003)
Areas of Expertise
- Dispute Resolution
- LL.B., National Academy of Legal Studies and Research University (India)
- LL.M., University of Missouri-Columbia